Don't get this twisted, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having grains in your granola. But what happens when you take the grains out of granola?? You get 'nola. And it is incredible. (Get it granola with out the gra?? gra = grains?!, I hope you are still with me). The best part of this nola? You make it, so you know exactly what is in it and can edit to your preferences. That is truly why I love cooking and experimenting in the kitchen.
Now, this blend has no grains as a filler so it is densely nutritious and full of incredible ingredients that are great sources of fatty acids, proteins and fiber. But, portion control with ingredients like these is really important. I suggest adding 2 tablespoons to yogurt and topping with berries for the perfect meal or snack!
As you may or may not know, I am allergic to tree nuts. So therefore, I have never actually eaten this blend - I had many taste testers though. BUT, I made a very similar blend subbing the nuts for dried edamame beans and lots of yummy seeds. That recipe will come next. For now, enjoy this delicious blend!
Power Packed “Nola" granola without the grains
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups slivered raw almonds
- 1 1/4 cup raw pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup pistachios
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup banana chips
- 1 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- Optional: 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Optional: 1/4 cup seeds of choice (pumpkin, sunflower etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut, nuts, chia seeds, flax seed, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the coconut oil and honey and pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven to add your extras (dried cranberries and seeds) and stir.
- Return to oven for another 5-6 minutes, or until deep golden brown. ((All ovens are different, keep your eyes on this))
- Once the granola is visibly browned and done cooking, remove from the oven and let cool.
- Store in an air tight container and enjoy.
Suggested Serving: 2 Tbsp.
Suggest to serve on top of plain Greek yogurt & ½ cup mixed berries
I made this breakfast for an outdoor workout class hosted by @ketanga_fitness and the incredible @annablayre and @pilatesbykelly and will be popping up at their fitness retreat coming up in Montauk in June with more goodies! Don't miss out on the healthiest weekend of your summer! For more information or to sign up, click here :)